15 Ways Intelligent People Deal With Difficult and Toxic People
Toxicity can show up in a lot of different ways. You may have a toxic friend and not even realize it. Here are several ways that toxic behavior can manifest:
- They create and are surrounded by interpersonal issues.
- They try to manipulate and control you.
- They are needy and make strong demands on your attention.
- They are extremely critical of themselves and other people.
- They are unwilling to seek help or try to change.
- They are extremely disrespectful and always seem to get their way.Recognize the traits of an angry person so you can learn to respond appropriately. Here are a few signs of an angry person:Shouting at people.
- Threatening people.
- Interrogating people with hostile questioning.
- Regularly using strong, intense language.Cynical people have a negative view of the world. This view infects everything in their life and they have a difficult time being positive. They are hard to be around because of the unending dark cloud overhead. Cynical people may:Complain endlessly about their lives.
- Never be satisfied with how you act toward them.
- Fail to contribute anything positive to the relationship.
- Feel distrust and unnecessary negativity towards others.Ask yourself the following questions:Am I feeling drained right now? Does it seem like the person is draining my emotions?
- Am I walking on eggshells? Am I afraid to say the wrong thing because they might react negatively?
- Am I ignoring my own voice? Is the person making it hard for me to listen to myself and follow my own values?
- Do I feel smaller and less important around this person?