What are some of the foods I should eat?
- Skim or 1% milk, yogurt, Greek yogurt (calcium-rich foods can lower blood pressure).
- Lean meat.
- Skinless turkey and chicken.
- Low-salt, ready-to-eat cereals.
- Cooked hot cereal (not instant).
- Low-fat and low-salt cheeses.
- Fruits (fresh, frozen, or canned without added salt).
- Vegetables (fresh, frozen or canned, no added salt).
- Richly colored green, orange, and red items are high in potassium and minerals that help lower blood pressure.
- The goal is 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
- Plain rice, pasta, and potatoes.
- Breads (English muffins, bagels, rolls, and tortillas).
- Lower salt “prepared” convenience food.
Unsalted seeds (pumpkin, squash, sunflower) and unsalted nuts are mineral-rich foods that lower blood pressure.
What foods should I eat less of?
- Butter and margarine.
- Regular salad dressings.
- Fatty meats.
- Whole milk dairy products.
- Fried foods.
- Salted snacks.
- Canned soups.
- Fast foods.
- Deli meats.