Following these tips can help you maintain a healthy weight, get the nutrients you need, and lower your risk of chronic disease.
- Try to eat and drink from these food groups each day: fruits, vegetables, grains, protein, and dairy. Variety is an important part of eating healthfully!
- Cut back on foods and beverages that are high in calories and added sugars, sodium, and saturated fats. Shift to healthier options like fresh fruits and vegetables instead.
- Instead of high-calorie snacks, such as potato chips, try nutrient-dense snacks, such as carrots.
- Instead of fruit products with added sugars, such as fig cookies, try fresh fruit, such as a peach.
- Instead of regular cola, try water flavored with fruits or vegetables.
- Use a food diary to help you keep track of your total daily calories, carbs, protein, etc., and see if you are making healthy choices. Understand how many calories you need based on your level of daily activity.
- Choose a variety of foods that are packed with nutrients and low in calories.