Other potential concerns with colon cleansing include:
- A tear in the rectum (perforation)
- A change in your electrolyte balance, which can be dangerous if you have kidney or heart disease or other health problems
If you choose to try colon cleansing, take these precautions:
- Check with your conventional medical provider first, especially if you take any medications or have any health problems, such as kidney or heart disease.
- Make sure your colon-cleansing practitioner is reputable and uses disposable equipment that hasn’t been previously used.
- Get a list of specific herbal ingredients and amounts in any colon-cleansing products you use — some ingredients can cause health problems.