The American Cancer Society has a Nutrition and Physical Activity Guideline for Cancer Survivors. These Guidelines call for cancer survivors to: :
- Avoid inactivity and return to normal daily activities as soon as possible after diagnosis and treatment.
- Take part in regular physical activity.
- Start slowly and build up the amount of physical activity over time.
- Build up to 150-300 minutes of moderate (or 75-150 minutes of vigorous intensity) activity each week.
- Exercise several times a week for at least 10 minutes at a time.
- Include resistance training exercise at least 2 days per week.
- Do stretching exercises at least 2 days each week.
These are general guidelines. You can find more information, including how much to exercise for specific cancer-related side effects, on the American College of Sports Medicine Moving through Cancer website.