- Attach a single handle to a low pulley on a cable machine.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your side facing the pulley machine.
- Grab the handle with your hand closest to the machine and hold it at your hip.
- Keeping your core engaged, abduct your leg away from your body until it is parallel to the ground.
- Slowly lower your leg back to the starting position.
- Repeat for 10-12 repetitions on each side.
Here are some tips for doing the cable hip abduction exercise:
- Keep your core engaged throughout the entire movement.
- Don’t swing your leg up into position. Use your hip muscles to control the movement.
- Don’t lean back as you abduct your leg.
- Keep your back straight and your shoulders relaxed.
If you are new to the cable hip abduction exercise, start with a light weight and gradually increase the weight as you get stronger. You can also use a resistance band instead of a cable machine.
Here are some videos that demonstrate how to do the cable hip abduction exercise: